The European Federation of Food, Agriculture and Tourism Trade Unions is looking for a talented, proactive and dedicated individual to in be in charge of the domestic work sector, gender equality and diversity, and managing cross-sectoral projects.
EFFAT Domestic Work Sector Political Secretary
The applicant should have experience in this area and issues related to gender equality, diversity, migration and platform work, and must share our values and commitment to build a fair and sustainable Europe from farm to fork.
The Political Secretary’s main duties and responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring the implementation of EFFAT’s political agenda;
- Coordinating the affiliates around common policy positions, through policy papers, roadmaps for action and responses to EU public consultations;
- Monitoring developments at European level – economic, social and legislative – especially in relation to the EU institutions;
- Identifying, elaborating and representing the priorities, interests and views of member organisations by appropriately liaising with EU institutions and allied organisations;
- Develop and coordinate advocacy plans towards the relevant EU institutions and competent authorities on political priorities and issues affecting EFFAT affiliates;
- Build up an EU Social Dialogue within the Domestic Work sector in close cooperation with other ETUFs;
- Planning, organising and managing meetings, workshops and conferences;
- Representing EFFAT at various meetings and public events;
- Launching and running projects – including international conferences and seminars – with financial support from the European Commission and other actors;
- Building ongoing, constructive cooperation with the IUF, IDWF, ETUC, ETUFs and other allied organisations on common issues and policies;
- Drafting action plans and strategies for the Domestic Work sector and Women’s Committee, and reports for the EFFAT Executive Committee as well as for IDWF & IUF bodies;
- Cooperating with the EFFAT Press and Communication Officer and other political staff.
- Strong commitment to fundamental values underpinning trade union work and social Europe;
- Extensive practical experience in trade union work;
- Familiarity with the EU social agenda;
- Capacity to build consensus, manage divergences and help affiliates to speak with one voice;
- Strong communication skills: being familiar with public speaking, presenting material, drafting reports/documents, position papers, chairing meetings;
- Strong analytical skills with the capacity to absorb and summarise information accurately;
- Excellent written and spoken English (candidates with additional European language skills will have a major advantage);
- Advanced IT and social media skills.
Highly desired skills
- Ability to negotiate with and establish relations and common positions among diverse groups of stakeholders with different backgrounds and priorities;
- Good organisational skills and experience in managing projects, meetings and events;
- Proven ability to develop and manage projects and in a timely and organised manner;
- Ability to work together effectively with the other staff members as well as EFFAT’s member organisations and partners at the European and international level;
- A collaborative team player with good social skills able to thrive in a multicultural environment;
- Capacity to work under pressure;
- Ability to multitask, prioritise and deal with changes;
- Proactive, constructive and creative approach.
The Domestic Work Political Secretary cooperates with the EFFAT team, Chairs of the Domestic Work Sector and Women’s Committee, and works closely with the General Secretary and Deputy General Secretary who are responsible for coordination of EFFAT political staff.
The place of work for the day-to-day business associated with this position is the EFFAT Secretariat in Brussels. The position involves some travel.
We offer a competitive salary, attractive working conditions and a challenging job in a European environment, as part of a friendly and motivated team.
Start date: to be agreed
Deadline for applications: 15 April 2021
Please send your CV and a motivation letter to:
EFFAT – IUF Europe
Avenue Louise 130 A
EFFAT is a European trade union federation and a recognized European social partner for Agriculture, Food & Drink Industry, Tourism and Domestic Work sectors. We promote and advocate socially responsible development in these sectors on behalf of our 120 member organisations and around 2.6 million trade union members in 37 European countries. Our work focuses, among other things, on sustainable employment, working conditions, collective bargaining and gender equality. We are an important voice for our members towards the European institutions. We lead the social dialogue with employers in EFFAT sectors. We coordinate and provide expertise to the EFFAT TNC network and European Works Councils.